A standard thoroughbred track is 8 furlongs around. However, some tracks lack the real estate for such a configuration. Cue Delta Downs and America’s bull ring racetracks.
Bull Ring Race Tracks
Bull ring tracks is a term given to small racetracks with tight turns. This is often due to a lack of space on the grounds. Instead of the typical 8 furlong oval at most race tracks the bull rings look more circular, thus the name, and are usually closer to 6 furlongs for one lap around the track.
Speed is Deadly
The tight turns of the bull ring can often accentuate the need to be on the lead. This is because more of the race is run in turns and very little is run on straightaways. With horses almost constantly turning, it can be hard from horses in the back to make up ground on the leaders.
The Betting News track bias tool indicates that in a sample of almost 4,000 races horses with a pace rating of “leaders” won 54% of all races.
Wednesday Full Card Analysis
Delta Downs Race 1
Post: 12:55 PM CT; Purse: $19,000 Claiming, 5 Furlongs on Dirt; Entries: 9
- #7 SHE'S MY PRIORITY (5-1) has the speed figures and class ratings to be a major player in this race. The 5-1 morning line looks like a gift on this runner.
- #8 ROARING QUINN (8-1) doesn’t top any of these runners in any specific metric, but is sneakily near the top in a lot categories. With no world beaters that could be good enough.
- #5 LUCKY PRIORITY (9-2) has been running well of late and will be one of those contesting the lead.
- #4 SUSAN JONES (10-1) could get a setup to at least hit the number.
Delta Downs Race 2
Post: 1:23 PM CT; Purse: $18,000 Claiming, 7 Furlongs on Dirt; Entries: 7
- #3 WISE GUY (2-1) has been running so well lately and has this field on speed figures.
- #5 RELAX TOWN (3-1) has faced better and is a must use in vertical plays, boasting the top in the money percentage of any runner in the field.
- #6 COMBAT COMMAND (4-1) goes out for top connections on the grounds.
- #7 FRIENDOFTHECOURT (5-1) projects to be a major player in the early pace. If this one can get the lead, it could be a danger to wire the field.
Delta Downs Race 3
Post: 1:51 PM CT; Purse: $38,000 Maiden Special Weight, 6 1/2 Furlongs on Dirt; Entries: 9
- #7 IT'S A BIRD (7-2) has experience which is a huge asset in maiden races. While others also show experience this one’s efforts are far superior to that of the competition. However, these are maidens at Delta and it is not atypical to see massive jumps up.
- #8 JUST INDISCREET (10-1) should be forward and has respectable speed figures.
- #2 JUSTA BUSTER (5-2) will win based on foundation and bloodlines. This one is by far the best bred in the group.
- #9 PAC THE PULPIT (15-1) could be sitting on a big upset performance here.
Delta Downs Race 4
Post: 2:19 PM CT; Purse: $38,000 Allowance Optional Claiming, 5 Furlongs on Dirt; Entries: 8
- #2 KING OF THE COURT (2-1) looks really tough to beat on paper. This one should be forward and has the best speed figures. Furthermore they have been earned against tougher. The barn is always a good bet at Delta Downs as well.
- #1 SCRAPPY ARTIE (3-1) could get the best of race flow, but I think will have too much to do trying to beat the #2 to the wire.
- #8 I'M LOOKING UP (5-1) is in good form, but seems a cut below these.
- #6 CARBON STRYKER (6-1) should be in the mix for a minor award, but it is hard to see this one overcoming the top 2 in the market.
Selections: 2-1-8-6 (Best Bet #2 KING OF THE COURT)
Delta Downs Race 5
Post: 2:47 PM CT; Purse: $14,000 Claiming, 1 Mile on Dirt; Entries: 8
- #8 CRIDER CHASE (5-2) is a bit of distance specialist and goes out for connections that are solid in the claiming game.
- #2 EM'S MISS PRADO (7-2) looks to be cycling up to a big performance in this spot.
- #3 ANOTHERINTHEFIRE (8-1) has top early pace and speed figures. That can be a lethal combination. The post position should also serve this one well.
- #4 DEVASTATING BEAUTY (12-1) looks like a player to get into the number. A win seems far fetched, but this level has produced stranger outcomes.
Delta Downs Race 6
Post: 3:15 PM CT; Purse: $36,000 Allowance, 5 Furlongs on Dirt; Entries: 9
- #1 SPANKHURST (4-1) may very well find favoritism by post time with the best of speed and class. This one also projects to be forward.
- #2 MIDNIGHT FIRE (7-2) should be competitive, but I think will struggle to put away the runner to the inside.
- #8 JAMAICAN ME (5-1) has been in good form of late, but I question if it is good enough to get by these.
- #5 JUST RIGHT MIKE (10-1) goes out for connections that can be deadly with a price. This one seems like a big ask though.
Delta Downs Race 7
Post: 3:43 PM CT; Purse: $13,000 Claiming, 1 Mile on Dirt; Entries: 9
- #8 BEYOND BROWN (2-1) is a pace play with my numbers showing this one breaking for the early lead.
- #2 TABLE ONE (6-1) has been running against better and may find this group much to its liking.
- #6 PINTLALA (9-2) should be in the hunt late for a placing. The question will be if this one can do enough to win.
- #9 OKALANI (12-1) is 12-1 with the top speed figures in the group. It’s hard not to take a shot on that.
Delta Downs Race 8
Post: 4:12 PM CT; Purse: $13,000 Claiming, 5 Furlongs on Dirt; Entries: 12
- #7 FELLER (12-1) projects to the front end and has the best speed figures of the group. This one is a steal if the price holds and would make a great vertical key horse.
- #4 MOVE IT (5-2) goes out for top connections and holds a strong power rating in the group.
- #10 ROCKIN ROG (4-1) looks competitive, but the outside post could be tough in this race.
- #6 HE HAD A SECRET (6-1) has the best energy distribution in the group and if things get too quick up front, this one is the likeliest to hold on late.
Delta Downs Race 9
Post: 4:40 PM CT; Purse: $15,000 Maiden Claiming, 5 Furlongs on Dirt; Entries: 10
- #8 NO SPIN (8-1) is a total pedigree play. These races are often filled with chaos so I like to look for horses with hidden chances to win. I’ll take my shot with this one.
- #9 IGNITE THE PASSION (10-1) is another sneaky play who could be ready to spring an effort worth of beating the slowest runners on the grounds.
- #5 DESERT GLOW (4-1) will be in the right place to have a chance. In a race of losers, playing catch me if you can isn’t a horrible strategy.
- #4 LADY ABRIL (3-1) goes out for a barn that makes this one respectable. The question will be if 3-1 is a price you want to take on a horse with so many question marks.