Yesterday’s MLB betting schedule was a light one, but with 16 games on the schedule today, there is no shortage of options to take advantage of.
There were only seven games yesterday, and three games took most of the day’s runs for themselves. There were 15 runs in the White Sox vs Red Sox matchup, 17 in the Cardinals vs Nationals clash, and 10 in the Rangers vs Angels game. In the other four games, there were only 18 runs.
What is in store today? Several low-scoring games could be on the cards with a number of top hurlers on the hill. Here’s a quick look at what’s on tap for today’s MLB betting slate.
- Corbin Burnes looks for another double-digit strikeout performance as the Brewers face the Padres. Burnes has 30 strikeouts and no walks in his first three seasons, and he is on the verge of making history in that regard.
- The Seattle Mariners downed the Los Angeles Dodgers last night and will have a series win in their sights this afternoon. It won’t come easy, however, with Julio Urias on the mound for the champs.
- Can Patrick Corbin turn it around for the Washington Nationals. His first two starts this season have been bad, and the Cardinals teed off on Joe Ross yesterday.
- The Yankees host the Atlanta Braves for the first of two games and need wins. The Yankees have lost five in a row and eight of ten. At least they may not have to face Ronald Acuna, Jr., who is questionable tonight.
- And last but not least, White Sox pitcher Carlos Rodon is back on the mound against Cleveland after no-hitting the Indians just last Wednesday.
Tuesday, April 20 MLB Betting Schedule
Minnesota Twins vs Oakland A’s (Game 1), 6:30 pm ET: Matt Shoemaker (1-0, 4.09 ERA) vs Sean Manaea (1-1, 4.32 ERA)
Minnesota Twins vs Oakland A’s (Game 2), 9:30 pm ET: Jose Berrios (2-1, 3.38 ERA) vs Jesus Luzardo (0-1, 8.31 ERA)
Chicago White Sox vs Cleveland Indians, 6:10 pm ET: Carlos Rodon (2-0, 0.00 ERA) vs Zach Plesac (1-2, 5.27 ERA)
Toronto Blue Jays vs Boston Red Sox, 7:10 pm ET: Hyun-Jin Ryu (1-1, 1.89 ERA) vs Eduardo Rodriguez (2-0, 3.60 ERA)
Tampa Bay Rays vs Kansas City Royals, 8:10 pm ET: Rich Hill (1-0, 7.53 ERA) vs Brad Keller (1-1, 9.58 ERA)
Texas Rangers vs Los Angeles Angels, 9:38 pm ET: Jordan Lyles (1-0, 4.70 ERA) vs Shohei Ohtani (0-0, 1.93 ERA)
Arizona Diamondbacks vs Cincinnati Reds, 6:40 pm ET: Zac Gallen (0-0, 2.25 ERA) vs Luis Castillo (1-1, 7.04 ERA)
San Francisco Giants vs Philadelphia Phillies, 7:05 pm ET: Logan Webb (0-1, 4.76 ERA) vs Zack Wheeler (1-2, 3.00 ERA)
St. Louis Cardinals vs Washington Nationals, 7:05 pm ET: Adam Wainwright (0-2, 7.11 ERA) vs Patrick Corbin (0-2, 21.32 ERA)
New York Mets vs Chicago Cubs, 7:30 pm ET: Taijuan Walker (0-0, 2.61 ERA) vs Jake Arrieta (2-1, 3.18 ERA)
Milwaukee Brewers vs San Diego Padres, 10:10 pm ET: Corbin Burnes (1-1, 0.49 ERA) vs Chris Paddack (1-1, 4.15 ERA)
Los Angeles Dodgers vs Seattle Mariners, 4:10 pm ET: Julio Urias (2-0, 3.86 ERA) vs Marco Gonzales (1-1, 8.22 ERA)
Atlanta Braves vs New York Yankees, 6:35 pm ET: Charlie Morton (1-1, 4.76 ERA) vs Jameson Taillon (0-1, 7.56 ERA)
Pittsburgh Pirates vs Detroit Tigers, 6:40 pm ET: Tyler Anderson (1-2, 4.02 ERA) vs Michael Fulmer (1-0, 3.00 ERA)
Baltimore Orioles vs Miami Marlins, 6:40 pm ET: Matt Harvey (0-1, 5.02 ERA) vs Nick Neidert (0-0, 4.00 ERA)
Houston Astros vs Colorado Rockies, 8:40 pm ET: Luis Garcia (0-0, 2.35 ERA) vs Jon Gray (1-1, 2.87 ERA)
Tuesday, April 20 Top MLB Betting Matchups
You can also find our aggregated industry MLB betting picks for these matchups and all of the day’s other MLB matchups on our MLB picks page.
We also have the latest MLB standings, complete with run line and total standings along with the usual info.
All MLB betting odds are via FanDuel Sportsbook as of Tuesday, April 20 at 1:25 pm ET.
Los Angeles Dodgers vs Seattle Mariners, 4:10 pm ET
Pitching Matchup: Julio Urias (2-0, 3.86 ERA) vs Marco Gonzales (1-1, 8.22 ERA)
- Moneyline: Dodgers -194, Mariners +162
- Total: OVER 8 (-110), UNDER 8 (-110)
- Run Line: Dodgers -1.5 (-113), Mariners +1.5 (-105)
The Mariners edged the Dodgers 4-3 last night and take aim at the top-game sweep of the Dodgers this afternoon. A solid outing is needed for Gonzales. After a couple of poor starts, Gonzalez put in five solid innings last Thursday against the Baltimore Orioles. That positive outing means things are trending up for Seattle’s ace heading into an important game.
Chicago White Sox vs Cleveland Indians, 6:10 pm ET
Pitching Matchup: Carlos Rodon (2-0, 0.00 ERA) vs Zach Plesac (1-2, 5.27 ERA)
- Moneyline: White Sox -118, Indians +100
- Total: OVER 7.5 (+100), UNDER 7.5 (-122)
- Run Line: White Sox -1.5 (+142), Indians +1.5 (-172)
What will Rodon do to follow up his no-hitter? And what will we see from Plesac after he was shelled for six runs and seven hits in only 0.2 IP in the same game. In six career starts against the White Sox, Plesac is 1-3 with a 4.59 ERA, but in his short career, he has done well with bouncing back from poor outings. Rodon, meanwhile, is 6-5 with a 2.69 ERA in 18 career starts against Cleveland.
Toronto Blue Jays vs Boston Red Sox, 7:10 pm ET
Pitching Matchup: Hyun-Jin Ryu (1-1, 1.89 ERA) vs Eduardo Rodriguez (2-0, 3.60 ERA)
- Moneyline: Blue Jays -108, Red Sox -108
- Total: OVER 8.5 (-102), UNDER 8.5 (-120)
- Run Line: Blue Jays -1.5 (+162), Red Sox +1.5 (-196)
After a Sunday stumble, the Red Sox got back on track yesterday with a rout of the White Sox in that series finale. Tonight they face one of the AL’s best pitchers in Ryu, who has opened his season with three solid outings. Rodriguez has needed to only be solid and not spectacular in his first two starts, as the Red Sox have scored seven runs in each.
New York Mets vs Chicago Cubs, ESPN, 7:30 pm ET
Pitching Matchup: Taijuan Walker (0-0, 2.61 ERA) vs Jake Arrieta (2-1, 3.18 ERA)
- Moneyline: Mets -130, Cubs +110
- Total: OVER 7.5 (-114), UNDER 7.5 (-106)
- Run Line: Mets -1.5 (+132), Cubs +1.5 (-160)
It hasn’t been a particularly good start for the Cubs, but Arrieta has made a good return to the Cubs rotation after his three seasons with the Phillies. The Mets enter this series with consecutive series wins, and this is a favorable matchup for the visitors. The Cubs are one of the poorest offensive teams in the league, averaging only 3.4 runs per game. The Mets come in fifth in MLB in ERA at 2.93 and have allowed three or fewer runs seven times in their last eight games.
Milwaukee Brewers vs San Diego Padres, 10:10 pm ET
Pitching Matchup: Corbin Burnes (1-1, 0.49 ERA) vs Chris Paddack (1-1, 4.15 ERA)
- Moneyline: Brewers -102, Padres -116
- Total: OVER 6.5 (-122), UNDER 6.5 (+100)
- Run Line: Brewers -1.5 (+190), Padres +1.5 (-235)
Burnes finally got in the win column last time out, and he will be looking to make some history today, as he looks to break the record for most strikeouts without a walk to start a season. Last night’s matchup was a tightly contested 3-1 Brewers win in which both Brandon Woodruff and Joe Musgrove excelled, and another low-scoring game could be on the cards with two talented hurlers at work. Paddack hasn’t made it past the fifth in a start yet this season, however.
Tuesday, April 20 Top MLB Betting Lines to Watch
Disclaimer: These are not MLB picks. They are notable MLB betting lines that are either intriguing or stand out as great value.
MLB Betting Sides
- Oakland A’s ML vs Minnesota Twins (Game 1 & Game 2): Prior to their series against the Angels being cut short, the Twins had lost six of seven. On the other side, the A’s are MLB’s hottest team at the moment, having won eight straight.
- St. Louis Cardinals vs Washington Nationals OVER: The Nationals surrendered five homers and 12 runs in yesterday’s series-opening loss to the Cardinals, with Joe Ross allowing ten runs and eight hits in only 4.1 IP. It may not get any smoother today, as Corbin takes the hill having allowed 16 runs (15 earned) in only 6.1 IP. In Thursday’s start against the Diamondbacks, this was his line: 2 IP, 6 H, 4 BB, 10 R (9 ER), 3 HR allowed.
MLB Betting Props
- Milwaukee Brewers vs San Diego Padres 1st 5 innings UNDER: Early runs have been minimal in each of Burnes’s first three starts. And after last night’s low-scoring showdown, there is a lot of value in this play.