There is a must-see primetime matchup tonight in the NBA, as the Lakers vs 76ers showdown in Philadelphia pits the top team in the Western Conference against the top team in the Eastern Conference.
The defending champion Lakers have posted the league’s best record a quarter of the way through the season. That hot start is due to a perfect start on the road, which will be put on the line tonight. Meanwhile, the 76ers are out ahead of the more heralded Nets and Bucks atop the Eastern Conference. A big reason for their fast start has been by the stellar play of Joel Embiid, who is emerging as a top NBA MVP candidate.
NBA odds see the Lakers as a slight favorite tonight. To cover the spread and score the win may require one of their best performances of the season.
Los Angeles Lakers vs Philadelphia 76ers Betting Odds and Information
- Matchup: Los Angeles Lakers (14-4, 10-0 away, 1st in the Western Conference) vs. Philadelphia 76ers (12-6, 9-1 home, 1st in the Eastern Conference)
- Date: Wednesday, January 27, 2021
- Time: 7:30 pm ET/4:30 pm PT
- Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (Wells Fargo Center)
- TV: ESPN
- Spread: Lakers -3 (-110), 76ers +3 (-110)
- Total: OVER 221.5 (-110), UNDER 221.5 (-110)
- Moneyline: Lakers -148, 76ers +126
Odds via Fanduel as of Wednesday, January 27
Los Angeles Lakers Betting Preview
Since opening the season with a four-game homestand, the Lakers have spent most of the last month on the road. And what a month it has been. In January, the Lakers are 11-2, and they enter tonight 8-1 in their last nine games.
It took LeBron James 16 games to record his first 30-point performance of the season, a 34-point night in last Thursday’s win at Milwaukee. But Monday night he showed that LeBron the scorer is still very much there, torching the Cavaliers for 46 points in his return to Cleveland.
LeBron’s continued excellence is one of the numerous reasons the Lakers continue to be the NBA title favorites. Through 18 games, LeBron is shooting a career-high 41.2 percent from three while shooting and making threes at a higher average volume than he ever has. That is ominous for the other hopefuls around the league.
Philadelphia 76ers Betting Preview
The 76ers went down by 15 on Monday night at Detroit, but that defeat does not take away from how they are faring at present.
Monday’s loss to the Pistons highlighted just how important Joel Embiid is to the team and how good he has been as of late. Embiid sat out Monday to rest ahead of tonight’s game, and he was clearly missed. In the three games prior to Monday’s loss, Embiid had posted three straight 30+ point performances and five in January. On the season, Embiid is averaging 27.2 ppg and 11.5 rpg, and he has notched 11 double-doubles in 14 games.
Embiid is not doing it all on his own, however. Tobias Harris is also having an excellent stretch. In his last 12 games, Harris is averaging 21.2 ppg and is shooting 54% from the field.
Los Angeles Lakers vs Philadelphia 76ers Betting Stats and Trends
Los Angeles Lakers Stat Sheet
- PPG: 114.3 (7th in the NBA)
- FG: 48.4 percent (3rd)
- 3PT: 38.9 percent (5th)
- PPG: 104.5 (2nd)
- FG: 44.7 percent (6th)
- 3PT: 34.0 percent (3rd)
Los Angeles Lakers Recent Form (Last Five: 4-1)
- 1/25/21: Cleveland Cavaliers 108-115 Los Angeles Lakers
- 1/23/21: Chicago Bulls 90-101 Los Angeles Lakers
- 1/21/21: Milwaukee Bucks 106-113 Los Angeles Lakers
- 1/18/21: Los Angeles Lakers 113-115 Golden State Warriors
- 1/15/21: Los Angeles Lakers 112-95 New Orleans Pelicans
Philadelphia 76ers Stat Sheet
- PPG: 113.7 (9th)
- FG: 47.5 percent (8th)
- 3PT: 36.1 percent (14th)
- PPG: 110.7 (16th)
- FG: 44.3 percent (4th)
- 3PT: 37.1 percent (18th)
Philadelphia 76ers Recent Form (Last Five: 3-2)
- 1/25/21: Detroit Pistons 119-104 Philadelphia 76ers
- 1/23/21: Detroit Pistons 110-114 Philadelphia 76ers
- 1/22/21: Philadelphia 76ers 122-110 Boston Celtics
- 1/20/21: Philadelphia 76ers 117-109 Boston Celtics
- 1/16/21: Memphis Grizzlies 106-104 Philadelphia 76ers
Lakers vs 76ers Top Betting Trend
- In his last three games, Joel Embiid has scored 42, 38, and 33 points. Embiid to be the top scorer tonight is available at +180.
Los Angeles Lakers vs Philadelphia 76ers Betting Advice
With both teams in good form right now, this one is a real toss-up. That said, the Lakers are on an unbelievable run on the road, and they already knocked off one of the East’s top contenders on their road trip.
The Lakers have been playing at a high level on the offensive end, scoring at least 110 points in seven of their last eight games. Meanwhile, the Sixers have also been hot offensively with Embiid on the floor. Back the over and Embiid to be the top scorer.
Best Bets: Lakers vs 76ers OVER 221.5 (-110), Joel Embiid to be top points scorer (+180)